Costus is a medicinal herb that has been used for centuries to treat various health conditions. One of the benefits of costus is its ability to support respiratory health. This article will explore the research on costus and its potential benefits for respiratory health.
Introduction Respiratory health is essential for our overall well-being. It involves the organs and tissues involved in breathing, such as the lungs, bronchi, and trachea. Respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, and pneumonia can cause difficulty in breathing and affect our daily lives. Costus, a herb commonly found in Asia, Africa, and South America, has been studied for its potential respiratory health benefits.
One of the ways costus can benefit respiratory health is through its anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation in the respiratory system can lead to various respiratory problems. A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology found that costus extract has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce inflammation in the airways (1). Another study published in the International Journal of Health Sciences and Research found that costus can reduce airway inflammation in animal models with asthma (2). These findings suggest that costus has potential as a natural anti-inflammatory agent to support respiratory health.
Costus also has bronchodilator properties, meaning it can help to widen the airways, allowing more air to flow in and out of the lungs. A study published in the Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology found that costus extract can relax the smooth muscles in the airways and increase airflow (3). This effect may be useful in treating respiratory problems such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Costus also has antimicrobial properties that can help to fight respiratory infections. A study published in the Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine found that costus extract has antimicrobial properties against various bacteria and fungi (4). These properties may be useful in treating respiratory infections such as pneumonia.
Costus is a herb that has been used for centuries in traditional medicine. Research has shown that costus has potential respiratory health benefits due to its anti-inflammatory, bronchodilator, and antimicrobial properties. Costus extract may be a useful natural remedy to support respiratory health and prevent respiratory problems. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits of costus for respiratory health.
- Rajput MS, Biradar JS, Wagh RD, Patil RH. Anti-inflammatory activity of Saussurea lappa C.B.Clarke (Costus) roots. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012 Jul 13;142(3):762-6.
- Pai VS, Patil R, Bhaskar V, Bhat G, Prakash JA. Amelioration of airway inflammation and immunomodulation in asthmatic guinea pigs by Saussurea lappa. Int J Health Sci Res. 2013;3(9):35-44.
- Yahaya Y, Ado M, Bello R, Musa SA. Relaxant effect of Saussurea lappa on isolated guinea pig tracheal smooth muscle. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2017 Mar 1;28(2):189-195.
- Patil SB, Ghadyale VA, Takalikar SS. In vitro antimicrobial activity of Saussurea lappa roots. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2014;5(1):35-9.
- Gupta AK, Singh V, Banerjee SK. Immunomodulatory effects of Saussurea lappa root extract in mice. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;118(1):1-5.
- El Azhary K, Housseini B, Bouyahya A, et al. In vitro anti-inflammatory activity of Saussurea lappa ethanolic extract on LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages. J King Saud Univ Sci. 2021;33(1):101261.
- Yam MF, Ang LF, Salman IM, et al. Antioxidant and immunomodulatory effects of saussurea lappa extract. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2010;7(2):126-135.
- Kumar R, Gupta YK, Singh S, et al. Immunomodulatory effects of Saussurea lappa: A well-known medicinal plant of Himalayan region. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2012;2(1):S1-S5.